Cheesy Smashed Potato, Meatball, And Brussels Sprouts Tray Bake
You're probably very familiar with the mashed potato, but have you ever tried the smashed potato? If you haven't had the pleasure of giving it a try, now's your chance! Maybe it's the savory flavors of the potatoes, meatballs, and Brussels sprouts fusing together; maybe it's the crispy, crunchy texture of the tray bake; or maybe it's the melty cheese that smothers the whole thing, but we think this dish brings something truly special to the table. Not only is smashing up all of the ingredients a strangely satisfying experience, this dish is super easy to make and fills up the whole family!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15–20 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp ketchup
For the garlic & herb oil:
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary
For the tray bake:
- ½ lb fingerling potatoes
- ½ lb Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Keep the skin on the fingerling potatoes, wash them thoroughly, and boil them in salted water. Cook the Brussels sprouts in a separate pot of salted water. Once the potatoes and Brussels sprouts are tender, drain them and distribute them on a baking tray.
2. For the meatballs, combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Once everything is combined, roll the mixture into individual balls.
3. Place the meatballs on the baking tray in the spaces left between the potatoes and Brussels sprouts.
4. Use the bottom of a clean glass to crush all of the ingredients directly onto the baking tray.
5. For the garlic & herb oil, place all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and use an immersion blender to blend them together. Drizzle a generous amount of garlic & herb oil over the ingredients on the baking tray.
6. Sprinkle grated parmesan and shredded mozzarella on top.
7. Transfer the baking tray to the oven and bake at 350°F for 15–20 minutes. Once the tray bake is done baking, remove it from the oven and garnish with fresh herbs.
We're willing to bet that you've never tasted potatoes quite like this before! This tray bake is as satisfying as as it is delicious – after all, you can't go wrong with cheesy comfort food! Shake up your potato routine, give this recipe a try, and do the smashed potato!
Get the recipe for the Scalloped Potato & Meatball Casserole featured in the bonus video.