Shepherd's Pie: British Gastropub Classic Meets Mediterranean Sunshine
Fans of the British gastropub know there's nothing better than escaping the rain in a cozy corner by the fire while enjoying a piping hot dish of shepherd's pie and a pint of your favorite ale. But is there really... nothing better? We'll let you be the judge! Here's a sunny, more Mediterranean twist on the original that will have you reminiscing about your vacation in Tuscany... or better yet, planning one!
You will need:
- 35 oz boiled potatoes
- 9 oz cream cheese
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 diced onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the potatoes and mix in cream cheese, nutmeg, and salt.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a cast iron skillet (or frying pan if you plan on baking in a casserole dish), brown the ground beef and add the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- When the ground beef mixture is cooked through, add the tomato sauce and chunks of tomato.
- If cooking with a cast iron skillet, you can simply add the next ingredients to the pan and bake. If not, transfer the ground beef to a casserole dish first. Then add the parmesan to the beef mixture, layer on the mashed potatoes, and finally, cover with a generous helping of mozzarella. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
Now — as the British would say — all you need are a few "mates" to help you "tuck in." And what was that we said about a pint? ;-) Or if you really want to keep the Mediterranean theme going, a glass of red will do nicely too. Enjoy!