Savory Crêpe Casserole With Beef And Guinness Filling
Crêpes are basically the French version of pancakes, although they look pretty different from their fluffy American counterpart. Crêpes are extremely thin and can be served either sweet or savory – we're going the savory route today and you'll be glad we did! This casserole is made up of individually wrapped savory crêpe pockets with a filling inspired by the classic British comfort food, shepherd's pie. The delicious ground beef and veggie filling also gets a little boost from another classic from across the pond, Guinness, which rounds off the filling perfectly with its rich, full flavor. Finally, we're sealing the deal with some cream cheese and a few slices of cheese to add a little creaminess to the mix. It's the perfect combination of all things savory and comforting!
Yield: 1 casserole, 4-5 servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the crêpe batter:
- 2½ cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- ¾ stick melted butter
For the beef & Guinness filling:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz peas
- 4 oz corn
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups dark beer (e.g. Guinness)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 9 slices Gouda or Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 9-inch crêpe pan or frying pan
- 9 x 12-inch casserole dish
1. For the crêpes, whisk together the flour, butter, milk, and salt until smooth. Add in the eggs and continue to mix. Let the batter rest for about 30 minutes, then coat the bottom of a 9-inch crêpe pan or frying pan with a thin layer of oil. Pour a ladleful of batter into the pan and spread evenly. Cook each crêpe until golden brown on both sides, stack one on top of another, and then set aside and let cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat some olive oil in a skillet, add the ground beef, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the flour and tomato paste and continue to sauté. Add the peas, carrots, corn, onion, and garlic, then deglaze the pan with a dark beer like Guinness. Stir in the broth and let everything simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Fill each crêpe with about 3 tablespoons of the beef & Guinness filling. Sprinkle parsley on top of the filling and fold each crêpe into a small pocket. Once all of the crêpes are filled, place the filled pockets side by side in a 9 x 12-inch casserole dish.
4. Place a dollop of cream cheese and a slice of cheese on top of each crêpe pocket. Transfer the casserole dish to the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
These savory crêpe pockets are comfort food at its finest. They're the perfect size, already divided into individual portions, and are super convenient and easy to serve. They make for a great snack, lunch, or dinner and will make your taste buds smile!
Get the recipe for the Stuffed Crepe Cake featured in the bonus video.