A-MAZE-ING Cheese And Sausage Pastry
Simple and creative are just 2 ways to describe a recipe that will have most home cooks hightailing it to the kitchen, and this recipe fits that bill and more! Our savory pastry promises a truly delicious culinary experience that will wow your family and friends and bring some unique fun to the table. We've created an edible maze, complete with labyrinth paths lined with homemade ground beef sausages and melty, cheesy goodness, baked in the oven to golden brown perfection. It involves some fancy finger work, but that's part of what makes it so a-MAZE-ing!
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes + 80 minutes cooling time
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the pastry dough:
- 3¾ cups flour
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1¼ cups milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
For the sausage links:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 1 onion, diced
- thyme to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp milk for the egg wash
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- chopped parsley
1. For the pastry dough, combine the flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt, egg, additional egg white, milk, and vegetable oil.
2. Mix all of the ingredients thoroughly, cover the bowl with a kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
3. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and pour the dough on it.
4. Grease your hands with some vegetable oil and spread the dough out evenly over the baking tray.
5. Put another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and let rest for 20 minutes.
6. Remove the parchment paper from on top of the dough and use your fingertips to create the paths of the maze.
7. Preheat the oven to 350°F. To make the sausage links, combine the ground beef, onion, egg, garlic, bread crumbs, vegetable oil, thyme, salt, and pepper, and mix with your hands.
8. Slightly wet your hands with water and form the ground beef mixture into sausages by rolling it between your damp fingers.
9. Place the sausage links in the maze lines you created, lightly pressing them into the dough.
10. Combine the whisked egg yolk and milk for the egg wash and brush it over the dough.
11. Combine the shredded mozzarella and parsley and sprinkle the mixture over the sausages.
12. Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes.
This dish is so amazing you'll lose yourself in its fun, creative cheese & sausage pathways and flaky pastry crust. It makes the perfect savory snack or main course and is as much a feast for the eyes as it is for the stomach!
Get the recipe for the Meat Pinwheel Cake featured in the bonus video.