Pigs in a blanket done differently: salsa hot dog ring
You've definitely seen a fair number of hot dog recipes on Scrumdiddlyumptious. After the popular hot dog braid and the tornado hot dog, allow us to introduce the salsa hot dog ring! As it turns out, hot dogs are quite versatile!
You will need:
- pizza dough
- 2/3 cup grated mozzarella
- 4 hot dogs
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 3 bell peppers (yellow, green, and red)
- 1 cup salsa
- Spread your dough on a baking tray and sprinkle the cheese to create a circle in the center of the dough.
- Halve the hot dogs and place them evenly over the cheese so that they also form a ring.
- Between each hot dog, cut from the edge of the dough towards the center, stopping once you reach the space between the hot dog halves. Now fold the dough over from the outside until the hot dog is covered.
- Cut the folded dough between the hot dog pieces. Additionally, cut each piece in half creating 16 pieces in total. Once finished, turn each piece on its head so that the inside of each hot dog piece is facing outwards. You may need to press the dough, and shape it once again around the hot dogs.
- Now for the salsa dip: heat a bit of olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onion and peppers. Add the salsa to the pan and mix well.
- Pour your salsa into the middle of the hot dog ring and bake for 18 minutes at 375 °F.
Ooh la la! Hot tip: Spread a little extra cheese on the salsa before you put the ring in the oven! Also, feel free to spice up the salsa to your heart's content. Party time!