Beautifully charred outside, juicy and pink inside: Roast Beef & Aioli
A tender cut of perfectly-aged USDA-grade beef deserves nothing but the best treatment before finding its way to your plate. But you don't have to shell out fine-dining prices when you know how to prepare it at home.
You will need:
- 9 oz cut of beef
- 4 small carrots, peeled
- 3 parsnips, peeled and halved lengthwise
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 tsp butter
- fresh sprig rosemary
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- Heat a little bit oil in a cast iron skillet and sear the beef on all sides.
- Add the beef, carrots and parsnips to a lined baking tray. (Alternatively, simply use the cast iron skillet.) Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil. Season meat and veg with salt and pepper. Portion the butter into small cubes and place on the beef. Add a sprig of rosemary to the vegetables.
- Broil at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the aioli. Add egg yolks, water, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper into a bowl. Mix, then add the vegetable oil while stirring vigorously. Continue until you have achieved a creamy consistency.
While your beef is most certainly the star of this dish, think of its companions — tender, roasted root vegetables and zesty aioli — as its really phenomenal backup singers. It's the combination of tastes that brings out the best of all ingredients. But enough anticipatory praise. Now where's my steak knife?