A savory recipe for a wonderful cake with rice and zucchini
This savory treat proves that tasty cakes come in many different forms — even a filled one created out of rice. Let yourself be surprised by the delicious goodness that's hidden in the middle...
For the rice mixture:
- 21 oz cooked rice
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3.5 oz parmesan, grated
For the filling:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 zucchini
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 7 oz mozzarella
- For the filling, first chop the zucchini into bitesized pieces, or even smaller if you prefer. You should decide at this stage if and how you would like to decorate the cake with zucchini slices after it's done baking. If you opt for decoration, you can leave a few pieces or slices to one side.
- Then put some oil in a pan and warm it over a medium heat. Fry the finely chopped onion and then add the zucchini. Fry everything for another few minutes until the zucchini are done. Then season with salt and pepper.
- Now for further work on the rice mixture. Combine the cooked and somewhat cooled rice with the beaten eggs. Then mix in the parmesan and add a pinch of nutmeg. Next, place about three quarters of the mixture in a greased, round springform pan. In the middle, preferably with a spoon, make a uniform hole for the filling. It can be reasonably deep, but should have a border of about one inch all the way around.
- Now back to the filling: the zucchini and onions should be thoroughly mixed with the cream cheese and with bitesized pieces of mozzarella. Then put the filling into the hollow in the rice cake and spread it out so the surface is smooth. The hole should not be completely filled, because you should still have some rice left to spread over the top of it. Once that's done, you're almost there.
- To finish, slide the pan into a preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes at 360°F.
For serving, you can cut your surprise cake into slices, just like a classic dessert. Once you catch a glimpse of the tasty filling with the fried zucchini and melted cheese, we think you'll find it just as hard to resist!