Roasted Red Cabbage Steaks Topped With Beef, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Red cabbage definitely doesn't get the kind of attention it deserves. In fact, it's ignored and discarded far too often. But as far as we're concerned, it's about time this underrated vegetable became the feature focus of a hearty evening meal, so we're bringing cabbage back!
- 1 head of red cabbage
For the marinade:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
For the mashed potatoes:
- 1 lb potatoes
- 7 fl oz lukewarm milk
- 2 tbsp butter
For the beef topping:
- 14 oz ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 5 fl oz broth
For the topping:
- shredded cheese
- brown gravy
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut a head of red cabbage into 4 slices (each slice about 1-inch thick), and place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the marinade using the above ingredients and brush it over the red cabbage slices. Season the slices with salt and pepper and cook for 45 minutes.
3. Peel and boil the potatoes in salted water. Once the potatoes are cooked, add the milk, nutmeg, and butter. Mash the potatoes and stir everything together into a creamy purée. Spread a portion of mashed potatoes on each roasted red cabbage slice.
4. Brown the ground beef before adding the onions, peppers, and broth. Let everything cook together and then distribute amongst the roasted red cabbage steaks.
5. Sprinkle cheese on the roasted red cabbage steaks and cook at 400°F for 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Prepare the gravy and pour it over the hot red cabbage steaks and garnish with parsley.
One bite of these roasted red cabbage steaks topped with mashed potatoes and gravy, and you won't believe you've gone this long without ever making it!
You can find the recipe for the Beef & Feta Tart featured in the bonus video here.