Brighten Your Day With A Raspberry Lemon Soufflé
There's something so intoxicating about a citrus aroma. Whether it's a lemon-flavored dessert baking in the kitchen, a lemon-scented cleaner working its magic in the living room, a lemon tree growing in your backyard, or a delightful lemonade stand down the street, there's no turning down a good lemon. Our recipe takes that thought one step further, because we figure if life gives you lemons, you should fill them with something delicious!
You'll Need (for 8):
For the lemon soufflés:
- 8 large lemons
- 6 eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 oz sugar
- 3 oz flour
For the raspberry sauce:
- 8 oz frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
- fresh raspberries
- powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut a small section off the bottoms of the lemons so that they can stand upright without tipping over. Cut enough off the tops of the lemons so that you can scoop out the insides.
2. Hollow out the lemons and squeeze the juice out of the pulp into a bowl. Place the 8 lemon shells on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
3. Separate the eggs, placing the egg yolks in one bowl and the egg whites in another. Add the lemon juice, flour and half of the sugar to the egg yolks. Add the other half of sugar to the egg whites.
4. Place the bowl of egg yolks over a pot of boiling water and stir with a hand mixer for about 8 minutes until thick. Remove the bowl from the stove and mix again for another 10 minutes until it has cooled down.
5. Stir the egg whites and sugar with a hand mixer on low speed until frothy. Slowly increase the speed until the mixture becomes shiny.
6. Gently fold about ⅓ of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Gradually stir in the rest of the egg white mixture.
7. Fill the 8 lemon shells with the fluffy meringue and bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops of the soufflés are golden brown. To prepare the raspberry sauce, add the frozen raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice to a saucepan over medium heat. Use a potato masher to break down the raspberries into a liquid.
Garnish the aromatic lemon soufflés with a dollop of raspberry sauce, fresh raspberries, and a sprinkling of powdered sugar — no sweet tooth will be able to resist this charming dessert!
You can find the recipe for the Lemon Meringue Bombs featured in the bonus video here.