Raspberry Cake Roll Filled With Vanilla Cream And Raspberry Jam
There are few things better than ending a meal with a nice slice of cake roll. The sponge cake is so light and fluffy, it almost feels like your chewing on a delicious cloud. Then there's the cream filling which adds a luxurious velvety texture, and the fruity jam that provides a nice tart contrast to the rich cream. For this particular recipe, we went down to the raspberry orchard (AKA the grocery store) and picked a ton of our favorite berries, which we then turned into raspberry jam and used for the striking decoration on this cake roll!
For the cake roll:
- 5 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp milk
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
For the raspberry jam:
- 14 oz fresh raspberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the vanilla cream:
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- fresh raspberries for decoration
- ⅓ cup apricot jam
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. For the cake roll, first separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites, ¼ cup of sugar, and a pinch of salt until stiff.
2. Combine the egg yolks, ⅓ cup of sugar, vegetable oil, and milk before adding the flour and baking powder. Then carefully fold in the beaten egg white mixture. Spread the batter evenly over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake it for 15 minutes until golden brown.
3. Flip the sponge cake over onto a clean dish towel and carefully remove the parchment paper. Roll up the warm sponge cake in the dish towel and then let it cool.
4. For the raspberry jam, puree the fresh raspberries with the sugar and lemon juice. Roll out the sponge cake and spread the raspberry jam over the top, making sure to leave the edge on one side empty.
5. Mix all the ingredients for the vanilla cream until firm and then spread it over the raspberry jam.
6. Use a dish towel and a ruler to tightly roll up the filled cake roll and refrigerate for 2 hours.
7. Carefully remove the kitchen towel, heat the apricot jam, and spread it over the outside of the raspberry cake roll.
8. Halve the fresh raspberries and use them to decorate the cake roll.
This is a delicious raspberry dream come true that you and yours need to experience! Of course, you can also use other berries instead of raspberries. How about strawberries, or maybe even blueberries?
Get the recipe for the Raspberry Cake Gift featured in the bonus video.