Rainbow Salad with Avocado Dressing: Simple, Fresh, And Nutritious
For those of us raised on the "Four Food Groups," it wasn't easy to abandon this childhood teaching in favor of the "Food Pyramid." And now we're told that we should be focusing instead on "My Plate." It's enough to make you throw your hands in the air and just go for the all potatoes, cheese and bacon diet. Am I right?
It's true that governmental nutritional guidance may come and go, but one easy piece of advice we can follow without fear is to "eat the rainbow." That is, a variety of colorful fruits, vegetables, and legumes. It's the easiest way to be sure you're getting enough of all the most beneficial nutrients and fiber. And in the case of this salad, the only thing greater than its accumulated nutritional value is its taste! Give it a try.
You will need:
For the dressing:
- 2 avocados
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
For the salad:
- 1 head of lettuce (alternatively, mixed leaves)
- 3.5 oz kidney beans
- 2.5 oz red onion, diced
- 2.5 oz corn
- 3.5 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 grilled chicken breast, cut into strips
- 3.5 oz bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup spring onions, cut into rings
- Add all of the ingredients for the dressing to a blender or food processor and blend until you have achieved a smooth consistency.
- Now simply add all the salad ingredients to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until well coated. Voilà! You're done.
We think we're pretty safe in declaring this salad government approved! Let us know if your taste buds disagree. ;-)