This Colorful Jello Cake Is The Perfect Centerpiece For Any Kid's Birthday Party
Doesn't jello just take you back to your childhood? Jello cups were the perfect way to wind down the lunch period, and if you were lucky, sometimes you even had a homemade jello waiting for you as an after-school snack. Really, you just couldn't get enough of the jiggly stuff. Give your kids the same sweet memories by conjuring up this fun, creative, and tasty jello cake with every color of the rainbow at their next birthday party.
You'll need (per layer):
- 9 fl oz water
- 1 oz sugar
- ½ oz lemon jello powder
*Tip: If your lemon jello powder is already sweetened, omit the 1 oz of sugar.
You'll also need:
- 1½ oz plain yogurt per layer
- red, blue, and green food coloring
You have full creative license when it comes to designing this cake, so go crazy! We have gone for a layered rainbow cake, so feel free to follow the instructions provided in the video if that's also the look you're going for. We have shown how to make the first layer, so repeat the process with whatever colors you want (we went with the traditional Roy G. Biv — red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet). For a nice color effect, we recommend alternating the gelatin layers with yogurt layers.
For a purple gelatin layer:
1. Pour the water into a pot. As the water heats, stir in the jello powder and sugar with a whisk (leave out the sugar if your jello powder is already sweetened). Add a few drops of red food coloring and a few drops of blue food coloring and stir well.
2. Pour ¾ of the liquid mixture into a Bundt cake pan or fluted tube pan that's between 9 and 10 inches in diameter. Refrigerate the cake mold for 30 minutes.
3. Mix the remaining liquid with the yogurt until a smooth cream is formed and then pour it on top of the gelatin layer in the cake mold.
4. Repeat Steps 1-3 with other colors (and flavors if you're feeling adventurous). In the end, you should have 11 layers. Once you have finished, refrigerate the pan for 4 hours to allow the jello to set.
The wobbly treat is a hit at every children's birthday party! The combination of the jiggly texture and the vibrant layering of colors is fascinating to children, and the fruity sweet taste is also an added bonus.