Raffaello Cake: Delicious Coconut Treat For A Taste Of The Caribbean
A delicious Raffaello is the closest you can get to being transported to a tropical paradise in one bite-sized treat. While TV commercials attract vacationers with crystal clear water caressing immaculately white beaches, our wonderfully coconutty cake brings the Caribbean to your very own kitchen — with the help of some Raffaellos, of course.
For the sponge:
- 7 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⅘ cups icing sugar
- 3.5 oz ground roasted almonds
- ⅘ cup flour
- 4.2 oz melted butter
For the filling:
- 13.8 oz white chocolate
- 8 fl oz coconut milk
- 4 fl oz cream
- 5 sheets of softened gelatin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1⅕ cups yogurt
You'll also need:
- 13.4 fl oz whipped cream
- coconut flakes
- 6 Raffaellos
- Beat the egg whites using an electric whisk on its highest setting until they are stiff. Add the icing sugar in stages while continually stirring the mixture. Next, use a dough scraper to fold in the almonds, flour and butter until the ingredients form an even dough mixture.
- Spoon the dough mixture onto two medium-sized cookie sheets and spread it flat. Bake the dough at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Now place a plate on the cooled sponge and cut out three circles. For the fourth circle, use a larger plate plate to cut out a slightly bigger circle.
- It's now time to make the filling. First, chop up the chocolate into small pieces. Next, heat up the coconut milk and cream before adding the chocolate while stirring. Then add the gelatin and lemon juice and stir until the gelatin has fully dissolved. Take the pots from the heat and stir in the yogurt. Now refrigerate the mix.
- To layer up the cake, first place the largest sponge circle on a large dessert plate. Spread a quarter of the filling onto it. Now place the smaller sponge circles on top, adding a layer of filling in between them. Also spread some cream on top of the cake and around the sides. Make sure the coating for the cake has a nice even finish by making up the difference in width between the lowest sponge layer and the rest of the smaller ones on top.
- Now spread on a layer of cream on top of the cake. Sprinkle coconut flakes over the entire cake — including the sides — and place six Raffaellos in top at equal distances to each other for the finishing touch.
If you close your eyes while enjoying this delicious cake, you should be able to feel a gentle tropical breeze against your cheeks and hear the sound of waves lapping the shore. After finishing the cake, it's best to keep your eyes shut a little while longer so that you can enjoy your Caribbean daydream with the taste of coconut still lingering at the back of your palette.