Pumpkin Spice Cake Roll Filled With Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting
What says fall more than colorful leaves, pumpkin spice, and a warm, cozy house? While we can't help you turn the heat up, we can spice up your fall with this delicious pumpkin cake roll. With a gorgeous fall leaf decoration on the outside and a pumpkin spice buttercream frosting on the inside, this yummy roll is sure to bring the season home!
For the patterned leaves:
- ¼ stick butter, softened
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ⅔ cup flour
- red, yellow, orange, and brown food coloring
For the pumpkin spice cake roll:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp salt
For the pumpkin spice buttercream frosting:
- 1 stick butter
- 1⅓ cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup cream cheese
1. First prepare the batter for the patterned leaves. Mix all the ingredients together (except for the food coloring) and equally divide the batter between 4 bowls. Color each bowl with one of the 4 different colors and pour each colored batter into a separate piping bag.
2. Lay an outline of fall leaves on your baking sheet and cover it with parchment paper. Trace the outline of the leaves by piping the colored batter on top of the parchment paper. For best results, place the the baking sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes after piping the outlines of the leaves. Once the outlines have hardened, it should be easier to fill in the rest. When the leaves are finished, put the baking sheet back in the freezer until everything has set.
3. Preheat the oven 350°F and prepare the pumpkin spice cake batter. If you're not using canned pumpkin, dice a small pumpkin, steam it for 15 minutes, and press the steamed flesh with a fork until it forms a puree. Add the sugar and eggs to the puree and combine everything with an electric mixer. Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix again until a smooth batter forms.
4. Take the baking sheet with the leaves out of the freezer and pour the pumpkin batter over the leaves. Smooth out the batter, transfer the baking sheet to the oven, and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Immediately after removing the cake from the oven, flip it onto a clean cloth, remove the parchment paper, and sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Using another cloth, flip the cake over and sprinkle powdered sugar on the other side. Carefully roll the the cake inside the cloth and let cool.
6. While the cake cools, prepare the pumpkin spice buttercream frosting. Beat the butter and powdered sugar together until fluffy, then fold in the cream cheese and pumpkin pie spice until everything is mixed together. Carefully roll out the cooled cake and spread the frosting on the side without the leaves. Carefully roll the cake back up and refrigerate for 2 hours.
This yummy pumpkin roll is full of fall flavors! And it's not only on the inside, since the colorful leaves make it clear that fall is definitely here. It's almost too good-looking to eat... almost!
Get the recipe for the Chestnut Cream Log featured in the bonus video.