Pumpkin Potato Gnocchi In A Hearty Cream Sauce
Hooray for pumpkin season! But instead of the standard pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin pie, or pumpkin soup, we'll be enjoying this seasonal treat in pasta form — that's right, pumpkin pasta! Or pumpkin gnocchi, to be more precise. And when topped with a smooth cream sauce, this recipe is the perfect dish to get you through the long fall and winter nights to come.
For the gnocchi:
- 1 small pumpkin
- 4 floury potatoes
- 3 oz flour
- 3 oz bread crumbs
- 3 oz grated parmesan
- 3 egg yolks
- nutmeg, salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil, as needed
For the cream sauce:
- 3 tbsp pancetta or bacon bits
- 12 fl oz heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz grated parmesan
- pepper to taste
- basil & shredded cheese to garnish
1. Cut the pumpkin into quarters and remove the seeds. Place the pumpkin quarters and potatoes on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, drizzle a bit of olive oil on top, and cook for 60 minutes at 325°F. Let the pumpkin and potatoes cool slightly before moving on to the next step.
2. Scrape out the pumpkin quarters with a spoon and place the contents in a bowl. Peel the potatoes and add them to the bowl, together with the flour, bread crumbs, parmesan, and egg yolks. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and mix until a smooth dough forms. If you prefer a creamier mixture, add some olive oil as needed.
3. Divide the dough into 4 sections, roll each section into a log, and cut off ½-inch thick pieces from each log.
4. Roll each piece into a ball and flatten with a fork.
5. Boil the gnocchi in salted water for 3 minutes.
6. Cook the pancetta (or diced bacon) in a pan over medium heat, add the heavy whipping cream, and let the mixture cook until the liquid has reduced to half. Remove the pan from the heat, stir the parmesan into the sauce, and season with pepper. Fry the gnocchi on both sides in a pan over medium heat and serve with the sauce. Sprinkle some cheese and basil on top for a finishing touch.
Would you have ever guessed that pumpkin and potato made such a delicious combination? That together with the cheesy cream sauce makes this perfect dish for cold fall days! You can find the recipe for the Meatballs with Pasta in a Mushroom Cream Sauce featured in the bonus video here.