Potato Roll Casserole Stuffed With Ham, Cheese, And Meatballs
For this recipe, we wanted to highlight yet another staple ingredient that usually doesn't get the fanfare it deserves: that's right, we're talking about potatoes. We could eat potatoes all day every day, which is why we've come up with another exciting way to enjoy taters. This time we've turned them into a casserole with upright rolls stuffed with meatballs, lots of cheese, and tomato sauce. Delish!
For the casserole:
- 6 large potatoes, sliced
- 6 ham slices, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 cheese slices, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 24 mozzarella pearls
- 1½ cups shredded cheese
For the meatballs:
- 14 oz ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 slice of white bread
- 1 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and start by making the meatballs. Add the ground beef, garlic, Italian seasoning, white bread, egg, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients until they're combined. Use your hands to form 12 meatballs that are about the size of a ping pong ball and fry them in a hot skillet. Set the meatballs aside for later.
2. Cut the potatoes lengthwise into thin slices, put the slices into salted water, and boil briefly so they're pliable.
3. Now lay out 3 potato slices next to each other, making sure they overlap.
4. Put half a slice of ham and half a slice of cheese on the potatoes.
5. Form the ingredients into a roll. Repeat this process until you have 12 rolls.
6. Place the 12 rolls upright in a casserole dish and pour tomato sauce into each of the 12 "holes."
7. Press one meatball into the tomato sauce in each hole.
8. Put 2 mozzarella pearls per roll on top.
9. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, slide the casserole dish in the oven, and cook for 30 minutes.
This potato casserole with upright rolls looks amazing – serve 1 or 2 rolls per plate and add a generous spoonful of tomato sauce on the side. Bon appetit!
Get the recipe for the Potato Meatball Casserole featured in the bonus video.