Golden Potato Pockets With Savory Filling
Mashed potatoes or fried potatoes? Well, now you no longer have to choose! This recipe combines the soft comfort of mashed potatoes with the crispy goodness of pan-fried. And there's more: the meat portion of your meal is taken care of as well!
You will need:
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 diced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 3 oz hard cheese
- Heat a bit of vegetable oil in a pan, and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the ground beef and mix until the beef is browned evenly.
- Add the salt, pepper, tomato paste, whole grain mustard, and chopped parsley to the pan. Mix the ingredients well.
- Peel and boil the potatoes, and then mash them with a fork.
- Add a pinch of salt, the egg, and the cornmeal to the potatoes. The cornmeal ensures that the mashed potatoes are more firm.
- Cut the hard cheese into slices. Take a handful of mashed potatoes and form it into a boat-like shape. Fill with the ground beef mixture, followed by a slice of cheese. Add a bit more potato on top of the cheese so that you can fully enclose the meat and cheese, using your hands to form a "pocket."
- Finally, fry your potato pockets in a pot of oil until golden and crispy.
Vegetarian? No problem! Simply replace the ground beef with tofu or soy meat and prepare in exactly the same way!