Potato Avocado Scotch Eggs
You've probably been told not to put all of your eggs in one basket before. Well, we'd like to respectfully disagree with that advice – especially when the eggs are these potato avocado scotch eggs and they're placed in a delicious ground beef basket. Picture a soft-boiled egg coated in avocado, coated in mashed potatoes, deep fried, and served over a ground beef basket filled with plenty of homemade cheese sauce... yeah, we think you can bet everything on this dish!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the ground beef basket:
- 1 lb ground beef
- paprika, salt & pepper to taste
For the cheese sauce:
- ¼ stick butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
For the potato avocado Scotch eggs:
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 ripe avocados
- 6 soft-boiled eggs
1. For the ground beef basket, take two 6-mold muffin pans and grease the bottom of one pan and the top of the other pan. Spread the seasoned ground beef over the top of the muffin pan that's been greased on top and press the bottom of the muffin pan that's been greased on the bottom into the ground beef to create wells in the ground beef. Transfer everything to a preheated oven and cook at 325°F for 20 minutes. For the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add the flour, and stir until smooth. Add the milk and bring to a soft boil while stirring. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the shredded mozzarella.
2. For the potato avocado Scotch eggs, first grate the peeled potatoes into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pit and skin. Place a soft-boiled egg in the hollow of 6 of the avocado halves and put the other avocado halves back on. Heat some cooking oil in a large pot, coat the stuffed avocados with the shredded potatoes, and fry until golden brown.
3. Remove the ground beef basket from the muffin pans and place it on a serving platter. Pour some cheese sauce into each well, top with a potato avocado Scotch egg, and cut the sections into 6 individual portions.
This mixture of a soft-boiled egg, avocado, mashed potatoes, cheese, and ground beef just might be the most delicious combination possible. Get your taste buds ready, because they're about to go on a wild ride!
Get the recipe for the Scotch Eggs In A Yorkshire Pudding Basket featured in the bonus video.