Pizza + Bread Bowl = Mouthwatering Deep-Dish Pizza Bread Bowl
Who doesn't love homemade pizza, fresh from the oven? But what if some friends randomly stop by and you're out ingredients to make your own dough? Chances are, you have a standard loaf of white bread sitting on your counter or waiting for you in your pantry, in which case — problem solved! Once your guests try this sophisticated version of pizza, they'll be requesting it all the time and it will soon become a culinary staple at all your future get-togethers.
- 1 loaf of white bread
- 8½ fl oz tomato sauce
- 7¾ oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 6 oz salami, sliced (can substitute pepperoni slices)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 bunch basil
- 2 cabanossi sausages, sliced (can substitute kabanos or kiełbasa sausages)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 5⅓ oz shredded mozzarella
1. Cut the top off the loaf of bread and scoop out the bread in the bottom half, thus making a bread bowl. Set aside the bread lid because you will need it later.
2. Spread two-thirds of the tomato sauce on the base of the bread bowl and cover with mozzarella slices.
3. Layer the salami slices on top of the mozzarella cheese.
4. Layer the onion pieces, basil leaves, cabanossi sausage pieces, and finally the red bell pepper slices.
5. Spread the remaining tomato sauce on top and sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over it. Now put the bread lid back on the bread bowl.
6. Wrap the stuffed bread loaf in aluminum foil and weigh it down with a wooden board or ceramic plate. Let it sit this way for about 30 minutes, or until flattened.
7. Remove the aluminum foil and place the entire bread loaf on a pan. Sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese over the bread lid and garnish with a few slices of cabanossi. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350°F.
8. What a cheesy feast — be careful not to burn your fingers in your eagerness to grab a slice!
This pizza bread bowl in a regular white loaf is the best thing since sliced bread!