Pasta Cake With Grilled Eggplant: Mediterranean Dream Come True
With plenty of fresh herbs, Mediterranean aromas, and colorful ingredients, Italian cuisine is always a winner. Pasta dishes are particularly popular, as different sauces and garnishes can be used to create a whole variety of delicious meals. And sometimes you get the best results when you're feeling experimental, as we found out with our mouthwatering pasta cake with grilled eggplant!
- 3 eggplants
- salt and pepper
- 2 fl oz balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped up
- 1 can pizza sauce
- 10 oz cooked rigatoni pasta
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 7 oz ricotta
- 3.5 oz grated parmesan
- 7 oz mozzarella
- Cut the eggplant into thin strips and place them on a grill pan with some hot oil. Sprinkle some salt on top of the eggplant strips and spread balsamic vinegar on both sides.
- Next, fry the ground beef in some hot oil and cook through. Then add the onion and garlic. Season the mix before pouring in the pizza sauce. Fold the cooked rigatoni into the bolognese and add the basil.
- Cover the bottom of a springform pan with the eggplant strips. Make sure that they cover and slightly hang over the edges. The center of the pan should be completely covered.
- To fill the cake, spoon several tablespoons of ricotta onto the bottom before sprinkling parmesan and mozzarella on top. Next, add a layer of pasta with cheese, pasta again, and cheese again. Seal the top of the cake with more eggplant strips and fold in the strips on the edge of the pan. Bake the pasta cake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
Just watch that cheese ooze from the first slice! Yep, a sumptuous combo of creamy cheese, grilled eggplant, and a classic bolognese sauce is sure to get bellies growling. So dig in and enjoy!