3-Layer Chocolate Oreo Pudding Cake
Making homemade cakes from scratch is a pastime we'll never get tired of. And when it comes to cakes, the possibilities are nearly endless – believe us, we've tried a ton of them already! One thing we've learned through all of our cake-making adventures is that the old standbys like chocolate, pudding, and cookies can't be beat! In this recipe we're taking a classic chocolate cookie, the Oreo, and using it as the crust for some ooey, gooey, delicious cookies & cream and chocolate pudding layers. Creamy, crunchy, smooth, and chocolaty – it just doesn't get any better than this!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Inactive Time: 5½ hours
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the chocolate pudding:
- 1¾ cups milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp agar agar powder
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the pudding base:
- 4 cups milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp agar agar powder
- 1 tbsp corn starch
For the pudding flavors:
- 2 tbsp hot cocoa mix
- 4 Oreos, crushed
For the cookie crust:
- 12 Oreos, crushed
- ½ stick butter, melted
1. For the chocolate pudding, combine all of the ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan and bring everything to a boil, stirring continuously. Once thick and creamy, remove the chocolate pudding from the heat and grease a loaf pan. Let the chocolate pudding cool slightly, pour it into the greased loaf pan, transfer the loaf pan to the refrigerator, and chill for 30 minutes.
2. For the other 2 pudding layers, bring the milk, sugar, agar agar powder, and corn starch to a boil and let the mixture simmer for about 2 minutes. Divide the pudding equally between 2 bowls and crush 4 Oreo cookies. Stir the hot cocoa mix into half of the pudding base and the crushed Oreos into the other half.
3. Let the cookies & cream and cocoa pudding mixtures cool slightly, then remove the chilled chocolate pudding from the refrigerator. Pour the cocoa pudding into the loaf pan on top of the chocolate pudding layer, transfer the loaf pan back to the refrigerator, and chill for another 30 minutes.
4. Once the cocoa pudding has set, remove the loaf pan from the refrigerator. Pour the cookies & cream pudding on top of the cocoa pudding layer, transfer the loaf pan back to the refrigerator, and chill for another 30 minutes.
5. Once the cookies & cream pudding layer has set, crush 10 Oreos in a small bowl using the bottom of a glass, stir the melted butter into the crushed Oreos to form a crust, and spread an even layer of the cookie crust over the cookies & cream pudding layer.
6. Cover the loaf pan with a large plate or serving platter, flip the loaf pan over, transfer it to the refrigerator, and chill for about 4 hours. Once everything has set, take the cake out of the refrigerator, carefully remove the loaf pan, and dig in!
Served with coffee, for dessert, or simply as a sweet snack between meals, our layered cookies & cream pudding cake is a chocolate lover's dream come true! It's a nostalgic trip back into the days of pudding cups and snack packs, perfect for kids and adults alike!
Get the recipe for the Double Stuffed Oreo Churros featured in the bonus video.