One Pot Stuffed Tomatoes Filled With Savory Beef And Melty Mozzarella
Everyone knows about stuffed bell peppers, but have you ever seen stuffed tomatoes? This particular dish is still fairly unknown, but we're on a mission to remedy that. Not only are these tomatoes stuffed with a delicious, savory filling, they're also a member of the one pot club. What's not to love?!
- 6 oz ground beef
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
1. Briefly brown the ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and then let it cool in a bowl.
2. Slice the bottom part off each tomato and set the pieces aside for later.
3. Scoop out the tomatoes with a spoon and put the hollowed-out tomatoes and the tomato flesh in a skillet.
4. Fill the tomatoes halfway with the shredded mozzarella, then add a little bit of the ground beef, diced onion, bell pepper, and parsley to each tomato. Finally, crack an egg into each tomato and mix carefully.
5. Sprinkle mozzarella over the filling and then close the tomatoes with the cut-off bottoms from earlier. You can use toothpicks to make sure they stay closed during the cooking process. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the tomatoes stew over medium heat for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the skillet lid and reduce the sauce in the skillet until it starts to bubble. Add the rest of the diced onions, bell pepper, and parsley, plus the tomato paste, and stir until combined. Gently flip the tomatoes over to cook them on the other side until the tops has browned a little. Remove the toothpicks, sprinkle fresh parsley on top, and serve the tomatoes with the tasty sauce straight from the pan – bon appetit!
This recipe packs a punch in terms of flavor by combining the trifecta of sweet and slightly acidic tomatoes with well-seasoned ground beef and melty mozzarella cheese. It's an instant classic and one that's sure to be at the top of your list of favorite one pot dishes ever. If only all comfort food could be this quick and easy!
Get the recipe for the Bacon Caprese Quiche featured in the bonus video.