Creamy and crunchy meets light and fluffy: Nutella Donuts
How many of us have wished we had Fred the Baker of "time to make the donuts" fame living next door to us and heading dutifully to the kitchen every two hours to make up a fresh batch for us? Have you ever thought of giving it a try yourself?
Well, today is your lucky day: no special oils or frying equipment are needed for these beauties because they're baked. Awwwwww. Disappointed? Well, don't be, because there's more going on with these donuts than meets the eye!
You will need:
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Nutella
- chopped hazelnuts
- Melt a stick of butter and stir in the flour and the 4 whole eggs.
- Fill a piping bag with the batter and squeeze it into donut shapes on a baking tray. Bake at 350 °F for 10 minutes.
- Next prepare the Nutella cream filling. Heat the egg yolks and sugar in a saucepan. Fold in the cornstarch. Then add the milk, salt, the remaining stick of butter, vanilla extract, and Nutella, mixing well.
- When the donuts and cream mixture have fully cooled, poke three holes in each donut, and pipe the Nutella cream into each whole.
- Decorate the tops of the donuts with Nutella cream.
- As a finishing touch, dip the Nutella-glazed side of each donut into a plate of chopped hazelnuts.
Now aren't you glad you made the effort? All that's left to do is enjoy!