A chocolate cake with 24 layers — an extravagant cake recipe
It's not just skyscrapers or ambitious careerists that want to fly high in New York — even cakes want to reach the sky! Well, this is at least true for the tasty chocolate tower you'll see in the following video...
For the cake batter, two sets of the following ingredients:
- 5 eggs
- 5¼ oz sugar
- 3½ oz dark chocolate
- 8¾ oz melted butter
- 5¼ oz flour
- 1⅓ oz cocoa
- 1 tbsp coffee powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the mousse:
- 7 oz dark chocolate
- 6¾ fl oz hot cream
- 17½ oz whipped cream
You'll also need:
- 7 oz melted dark chocolate
- 1⅓ oz cocoa powder
- ¾ oz coffee powder
- To make the cake batter, first beat the eggs until they're foamy while stirring in the sugar. Now add the dark chocolate and melted butter, mixing everything together. Next, work in the flour, cocoa, coffee powder, and baking powder. Stir all the ingredients into a creamy mixture.
- Repeat the first step so that you have two round cake pans filled with the chocolate batter mixture. Bake them at 320°F with the top and bottom heat on for 35 minutes.
- Cut the baked cakes horizontally into thin slices. The top layer on each cake is no longer needed, so you can eat that already. ;-)
- To make the mousse, mix the dark chocolate with hot cream. Leave the chocolatey cream mix to cool to room temperature and then carefully fold in the whipped cream.
- Build the cake tower by taking a slice of cake, spreading cream onto it, and then placing another slice on top. Once all of the slices have been stacked, cover the outside of the cake tower with the rest of the mousse.
- Next pour the melted dark chocolate on top. To finish, mix the cocoa with the coffee powder and sprinkle it along the side of the cake.
This elegant cake certainly isn't understated. Frank Sinatra once sang that New York was the city that never sleeps — that's probably because everyone there is too busy eating cake!