Healthy and fresh: Mushrooms alla Caprese
Time for a meatless Monday? This recipe takes everything we love about a caprese salad — tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil — and adds one more favorite to the mix: the mushroom.
You will need (for 6 servings):
- 6 brown mushrooms
- 2 tsp melted butter
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh basil
- Wash the mushrooms, remove the stems, and hollow them out.
- Mix the butter with the garlic and brush onto the caps of the mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the caps and fill with a thick slice of mozzarella and a few slices of tomato. Bake for 20 minutes 350 °F.
Before serving, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and add a few basil leaves. Is this a great low-carb pizza alternative or what? Enjoy!