A Hearty Mashed Potato Meatloaf Cake Is The Perfect Fall Comfort Food
Fall means two things: cold days and warm nights, thanks in large part to the hearty comfort foods that you suddenly can’t get enough of. A fan favorite has always been meatloaf, and while it’s a classic, we say it’s high time that this childhood staple got a sleek new makeover. Now you can have your cake and eat it too, because we’ve transformed the boring loaf and its accompanying side dishes into one comprehensive mouthwatering dish.
For the beef cake:
- 5 ½ lbs ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 oz bread crumbs
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 3½ oz sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 8-inch pans
For the filling and garnish:
- 3½ lbs mashed potatoes
- 3½ oz peas
- 3 ½ oz French fried onions
- 5½ oz bacon bits
- 1 piping bag
1. Put all ingredients for the beef cake in a bowl and mix by hand until evenly distributed. Divide the mixture between two pans and press it down into the mold. Bake the pans for 30 minutes at 355°F.
2. Remove the beef patties from the pans, place one on a large serving plate, and spread a 1-inch thick layer of prepared mashed potatoes over the top.
3. Sprinkle half of the peas and half of the French fried onions on top of the mashed potato layer. Top with the second beef patty and gently press it down.
4. First put 4 tablespoons of the remaining mashed potatoes into a piping bag and set aside. Frost the beef cake with the rest of the mashed potatoes.
5. Use the piping bag to decorate the top of the cake. Sprinkle the remaining peas and French fried onions in the middle of the cake top.
6. Finally, press the bacon bits on the sides of the cake and your meat masterpiece is ready to eat!
Home cooking is popular in autumn, and this hearty hamburger and potato cake is not only a feast for the eyes, but also the palate. Bon Appetit!
Can't get enough meatloaf? The recipe for the bonus video can be found here.