Hearty Cheese-Stuffed Meatball Casserole: So Many Surprises In Store
As unspectacular as "meatball casserole" may sound, don't pass it up! While our version is equally traditional, it is also full of surprises. From the delicious gooey filling inside the mini-meatballs to the scrumptious homemade garlic bread lining the casserole dish — it's all tasty, tasty, tasty!
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 oz coarse bread crumbs
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp diced onions
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 mozzarella ball (approximately 4½ oz)
- oil for frying
For the casserole:
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp softened butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp parsley
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 6 baguette slices
- 3½ oz shredded cheese
1. To make the meatballs, combine the ground meat, breadcrumbs, oregano, onion, egg, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix the ingredients together thoroughly with your hands.
2. Take a portion of the ground meat mixture and form a round, flat "plate" out of it. Place a piece of mozzarella in the middle, wrap the meat around it, and shape into a ball. Repeat this until you have 12 small, stuffed meatballs in front of you.
3. Fry the meatballs on all sides in plenty of oil and once they have browned, add the tomato sauce. Let the dish simmer for five minutes and then pour into a casserole dish.
4. In a separate bowl, add the salt, parsley, and garlic to the softened butter and mix well. Brush the finished spread on the baguette slices.
5. Line the inner edges of the casserole dish with the baguette slices so that they partially sink into the sauce. The buttered side of each slice should face inwards.
6. And for the real "cherry on top," so to speak, sprinkle the shredded cheese of your choice over the stuffed meatballs and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.