Mashed Potato Pie Filled With BBQ Ground Beef And Cheese
When you're making a casserole, you usually just serve it in the dish it was baked in, right? But this ain't your mama's casserole. What if you could turn a plain old casserole into a hearty pie that transforms mashed potatoes into culinary scaffolding? That's right – for this recipe, you're going to press a bunch of mashed potatoes into a springform pan like dough, then top it with perfectly seasoned, smoky BBQ ground beef and cheese. Treat yourself!
For the mashed potatoes:
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cooked
- ¾ cup heavy cream, hot
- 1¼ sticks butter, softened
- salt, pepper & nutmeg to taste
For the BBQ beef filling:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce
- 8 oz sliced cheese
- 4 oz bacon, diced
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mash the boiled potatoes with heavy cream and butter and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Transfer a little more than half of the mashed potatoes into a greased springform pan and spread over the bottom and the sides.
2. Brown the ground beef, add the onion and bell peppers, and season everything with salt. Stir in the BBQ sauce and let it come to a boil. Transfer the smoky, spiced beef mixture to the springform pan and spread over the mashed potatoes.
3. Arrange the cheese slices in a circle on top of the BBQ beef filling.
4. Dice and fry the bacon, mix it into the remaining mashed potatoes, spread it over the cheese, and smooth it down.
5. For the creamy topping, combine the sour cream and mayonnaise and spread it as a final layer on top of the hearty pie. Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and cook for 45 minutes. Carefully remove the cooked dish from the springform pan before serving.
Now that's a sight for sore eyes if we've ever seen one. This recipe is so simple to make, and the result is a supremely delicious hearty pie that will have you reaching for seconds, thirds, fourths, and more!
Get the recipe for the Meatloaf Cake featured in the bonus video.