Magic Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Topped With Caramel Syrup Spikes
This unbeatable cake with chocolate, caramel, hazelnuts, and honey is so good, you'll swear it's magic!
For the cake batter:
- 7 oz flour
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 7 oz sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 fl oz milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3½ oz caramels or English toffee bits
- 4 oz peeled hazelnuts
For the caramel syrup:
- 16 oz sugar
- 5 fl oz sparkling water
- 2 tbsp honey
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla extract until a smooth batter forms. Pour the batter into a 7-inch springform pan lined with parchment paper.
2. Break up the caramels and push them into the batter (or spread the English toffee bits through the batter). Completely cover the candy pieces with batter.
3. Push the hazelnuts into the batter and bake the cake for 45 minutes. Let the cake cool completely in the pan before moving onto Step #4.
4. In the mean time, prepare the caramel syrup by combining the mineral water and sugar in a pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stir in the honey, and cook until the liquid turns an amber caramel color. Carefully pour the caramel syrup over the cake and wait 5 minutes.
5. Turn the pan over and let the caramel syrup slowly drip down. Wait for the caramel spikes to completely solidify and then turn the pan right side up. If the spikes are too long, you can trim them with scissors.
The visual aesthetics of this nutty chocolate cake alone are a force to be reckoned with, but combine that with the melted caramel bits inside and you've got yourself a real winner!
You can find the recipe for the Salted Caramel Apple Cake featured in the bonus video here.