Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs Wrapped In Macaroni & Cheese
Macaroni and cheese is one of those rare dishes that appeals to all ages, not to mention picky eaters and connoisseurs alike. But if you want to serve up a real treat, try this stuffed inception dish where the layers just keep on coming! Pasta, meatballs, and more cheese topped off with a homemade marinara sauce – what more could you want?!
For the cheese-stuffed meatballs:
- 8 oz ground beef
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella for the filling
For the macaroni & cheese:
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup shredded cheddar (optional)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 10 oz elbow macaroni
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan to sprinkle on top
For the marinara sauce:
- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp red wine
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt & pepper
- fresh parsley to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and season the ground beef with oregano, salt, and pepper. Divide the ground beef into quarters, flatten each section in the palm of your hand, put some cheese in the middle, and fold the meat up around the cheese to form a stuffed meatball.
2. For the macaroni and cheese, cook the elbow macaroni in salted water according to the package instructions. Mix the eggs, cheese, and flour and season with pepper and nutmeg.
3. Stir the cooked macaroni noodles into the cheese and egg mixture. Line 4 small bowls with plastic wrap, spread some macaroni and cheese on the bottom, place a cheese-stuffed meatball in the middle, and cover with some more macaroni and cheese.
4. Fold up the plastic wrap, lightly pack the noodles in, and refrigerate the bowls for 1 hour.
5. Carefully remove the plastic wrap and bowls and place the pasta balls on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle parmesan on top of each ball, slide the tray into the oven, and cook for about 35 minutes until golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the homemade marinara sauce. Sweat the garlic and onions in a bit of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Stir in the red wine, tomato sauce, and spices, season with salt and pepper, and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Pour the finished marinara sauce over each macaroni and cheese meatball and garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
The mere sight of these pasta domes topped with tangy marinara will certainly whet your appetite. But the real treat will be when you cut into the ball and see all the ooey, gooey layers of splendor!
You can find the recipe for the Bacon Cheeseburger Onion Rings featured in the bonus video here.