Macaron Burger: You don’t know what’s inside!
Macarons have successfully established themselves as an exquisitely delicate and delicious dessert. So it's very rare to hear this refined French treat used in the same sentence as fast food, which is often written off as a cheap and sub-standard way of eating. But is that really true? The following recipe proves otherwise!
For the batter:
- 1½ oz ground almonds
- 2⅔ oz icing sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 egg white
- 2½ tsp sugar
- approx. 1 tsp sesame seeds
For the chocolate cream:
- 2½ fl oz cream
- 1¾ oz milk chocolate, chopped up
- 3½ oz dark chocolate, chopped up
- 1¾ oz soft butter
You'll also need:
- 1 ripe mango
- 3 strawberries
- 1 pear
- juice from one lemon
- some mint leaves
1. Sieve the almonds, icing sugar, and cinnamon into a bowl. Whip the egg white until it's stiff and add the sugar while doing so. Fold the almond mixture into the whipped egg white in stages.
2. Fill a piping bag with the batter and squeeze out little blobs onto the baking tray; each blob should be around the size of a quarter. Once the tray is full, gently tap it against the work surface several times. This will help give the batter the perfect macaron shape. Next, sprinkle the sesame seeds onto half of the blobs of batter. Bake the batter at 310°F with the top and bottom heat on for 12 minutes.
3. Heat up the cream and add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has completely melted. Transfer the chocolate cream mixture to a bowl and stir in the soft butter. Add the chocolate cream mixture to a piping bag.
4. Cut the mango into thin slices and cut them into squares that are the same size. Also cut the strawberries and pear into thin slices. Now use the ends of two nozzles of different sizes to cut the pear again, so that the slices resemble mini onion rings. Place these pear rings in the lemon juice so that they don't go brown.
5. We're almost there — it's now time to build your burger! Pipe chocolate cream onto a macaron that doesn't contain any sesame seeds, before placing the strawberry slices, mango, several pear rings and a mint leaf on top. To finish, complete your burger with a macaron that's been sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Well, you certainly won't have a food coma after eating this special burger! Even so, this delightful dessert is sure to put a smile on your face and make all that effort worth it. :-)
You can find out how to make our Raspberry Macarons from the bonus video here.