Mac & Cheese Wellington — a tasty dish with lots of cheese
One of the United States' most popular fast food dishes has finally made its way over to Europe. After its trip across the Atlantic, our Mac & Cheese has come "dressed" differently though — it's wearing a British Wellington jacket to stave off the cold! Here at Scrumdiddlyumptious, we have an excellent track record when it comes to fusion food, so we hope this tasty Anglo-American combination is to your liking...
For the cheese béchamel sauce:
- 1 oz butter
- 1 oz flour
- 17 fl oz milk
- 12 oz grated cheddar
- 7 oz grated mozzarella
- 17½ oz cooked macaroni
For the puff pastry:
- 1 prepared sheet of puff pastry
- 15 slices of crispy bacon
- egg wash
- First, melt the butter in a pot. Now add the flour, fry it briefly, and stir it using a whisk. Next, pour the milk into the pot and stir until the sauce thickens and there are no more lumps. Once the sauce is the right consistency, carefully stir in the cheddar. Stir in the mozzarella until the grated pieces of cheese have melted into the mix and the sauce has become thicker.
- Now fold in the macaroni and carefully mix the pasta with the sauce.
- Next, add the entire mixture into a rectangular loaf pan containing baking parchment and place it in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Roll the puff pastry out on baking parchment and spread the fried slices of bacon on top of it. Next, place the now solid Mac & Cheese mix onto the lower edge of one short sides of puff pastry. Now roll up the Mac & Cheese block in the puff pastry. Place the roll on a baking tray covered in baking parchment and close up the open parts of puff pastry.
- Whisk an egg and brush it onto the pastry. To finish, bake the Mac & Cheese Wellington in a convection oven set to 360°F for 40 minutes.
So what do you think of our trans-Atlantic creation? This transformation of an American classic may seem rather unconventional at first, but you can't argue with the great taste. Give it a try! :-)