Fluffy Like A Cloud, With A Taste Of Summer: Lemon Meringue Pie
Summer is over, it's already feeling mighty chilly in the mornings, and the first leaves are fluttering to the ground. Hold on to your memories of sunshine and trips to the beach a little bit longer with this tasty, fruity pie — light as a feather and creamy like some of your mom's homemade pudding. The best way to make a sweet treat even better is with plenty of lemon and we're sure you'll agree once you've tried our lemon meringue pie.
For the base:
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅔ cup butter
For the lemon cream:
- 10.5 fl oz water
- 4 fl oz lemon juice
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- grated lemon peel
For the meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- Knead the flour, egg yolk and butter into a dough and use it to completely line the inside of a pie dish. Bake for 10 minutes at 390°F.
- Bring the water, lemon juice, cornstarch and brown sugar to a boil until the ingredients form a smooth mixture. Stirring gently, allow the mixture to cool slightly, then add in the butter and egg yolk. Finally, add the grated lemon peel.
- To prepare the meringue, beat the egg whites until they are stiff and add the sugar in several portions while stirring continuously. Once the mixture appears silky and glossy, it's done.
- Now spread the lemon filling in an even layer inside the cooled pastry base. Add the the meringue on top as the final layer and smooth it out evenly. To create the decorative effect of peaks of meringue on top, place the curved side of a dessert spoon against the meringue mixture and pull it quickly upwards.
- Last but not least, bake the whole thing for another five minutes at 375°F.
Underneath the light, fluffy meringue layer, lies a creamy lemon filling that you won't soon forget. As a sweet afternoon treat or as a delicious contribution to a dinner party, just looking at this pie will be enough to whet your appetite. Once you've started, you won't be able to hold back!