Lasagna Soup In Garlic Bread Bowl
Bread bowls are a comfort food through and through – they're rich, flavorful, and filling. What other comfort food comes to mind that shares those same descriptors? Lasagna, of course! So how great would it be if we were to combine the two? Well, that's exactly what we did with this lasagna soup in a garlic bread bowl!
You'll Need (for 4):
- 2 cooked lasagna sheets
- 4 bread bowls
- ½ cup olive oil + 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 48 fl oz chicken stock
- 24 oz tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 oz mafalda pasta
- 2 cups cooked spinach
- ½ cup grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Halve the cooked lasagna sheets lengthwise and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper as shown in the video.
2. Using an immersion blender, mix ½ cup olive oil with the garlic clove.
3. Cut open the bread bowls, hollow them out, and tear the pulled-out insides into large croutons. Transfer the loaves of bread, lids, and croutons to the baking tray with the cooked lasagna sheets and brush the garlic olive oil mixture over everything. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top, transfer the baking tray to the oven, and cook for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, add a bit of olive oil to a Dutch oven, brown the ground beef, and add the onion and garlic. Stir in the chicken stock, tomato puree, and bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, and let the sauce simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5. Add the uncooked mafalda pasta to the pot and let everything simmer for 10 another minutes. Once the starch from the pasta has caused the sauce to thicken, remove the bay leaves.
6. Fill the bread bowls with about half of the cooked spinach and then add the lasagna soup. Top with some more cooked spinach, cheesy lasagna sheets, and crispy croutons and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
Once you're ready to serve your lasagna soup, put the lid back on the bread. The delicious smell that will waft through your entire home the moment you lift it is guaranteed to make you salivate!
Get the recipe for the Lasagna-Stuffed Peppers featured in the bonus video.