Probably the most unusual lasagna of all time
Next to pizza and spaghetti bolognese, the statistics probably show lasagna as the most popular Italian dish with foreigners. But the long preparation time puts a lot of people off trying to make it home. What to do then, when you're still obsessed with this hearty savory dish? Keep it simple and use potatoes! You'll be astounded how easy it is to make this classic dish using this method.
For the potatoes:
- 6 large potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
For the topping:
- mozzarella in small slices
- 14 oz ground meat (beef)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 8½ fl oz stock
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 8½ fl oz béchamel sauce
For the garnish:
- 6 slices mozzarella
- Make a row of deep cuts in each potato from end to end, they should be just under ¼ inch apart. However, take care not to cut the potatoes all the way through.
Tip: You can use the trick in the video and place the potatoes between two wooden spoons, and only make the first cut after that. The spoons will act as a block for the knife.
- Next, place the potatoes in a cast-iron pan or a casserole dish, brush them with oil and sprinkle some salt on top. Place the pan in a convection oven for 60 minutes at 360°F.
- Let the potatoes cool a little and then stick the slices of cheese in the gaps.
- Now take care of the filling: fry the beef in some oil and add the chopped onions and garlic. Once you've mixed it all together, stir in the tomato paste and the stock, and let the mixture cook down, until it's only slightly liquid. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to finish.
- Next, divide the filling among the potatoes, which should still be in the pan or casserole dish. Then pour the béchamel sauce evenly on top. For the finishing touch, place a slice of mozzarella on top of each potato.
- Finally, slide the potatoes back in the oven on convection mode and bake them for another 30 minutes at 360°F.
Don't they look amazing? When you don't have anything against potatoes, this variation provides a perfect alternative to traditional lasagna. And not only is it quicker and simpler to make, but it is at least just as tasty!