Lasagna Stuffed Peppers: When Hunger Gets The Best Of You
When it comes to comfort food, the stuffed bell pepper is a classic. The usual suspects for inclusion in this recipe are ground beef or sausage with cooked rice and cheese. But how about, instead of the rice, we throw in some pasta? All of a sudden this hearty meal gets even heartier!
You will need (for 4 servings):
- 4 bell peppers (2 each of red and yellow)
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 9 oz ground beef
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- 5-6 oz ricotta
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- Remove the tops and hollow out the bell peppers.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add the onion, garlic and ground beef. When the beef is brown, season with salt and pepper. Then add the tomato sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, parmesan, and basil until well mixed.
- Now to fill the peppers. Spoon a small portion of sauce into each pepper. Cut the lasagna noodles into squares and place the first square on top of the sauce. Then add a generous spoonful of the ricotta mixture. Top with another lasagna square. Repeat this pattern until the pepper is full. Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella as the final layer. Bake the lasagna peppers at 340 °F for 30 minutes.
Not only do these bright baked vegetables look a treat coming out of your oven, their rich and gooey contents will make you forget there was ever another way to stuff them. And best of all, even the heartiest of appetites will be thoroughly satisfied. Enjoy!