Chocolate Waffle Cake With Chocolate, Vanilla & Strawberry Ice Cream Layers
Maybe as a kid you were lucky enough to get waffles and ice cream on special occasions such as your birthday, but those periods in between treats were pure agony. In case you haven't realized it yet, the best part about being an adult is that you can eat ice cream whenever you want and nobody can tell you no. And while waffles à la mode were good and all back then, it's time to enjoy the grownup version of the perfect mix between breakfast and dinner.
For the chocolate waffles:
- 7 oz butter, cubed
- 8 oz dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 fl oz lukewarm water
- 3 oz cocoa powder
- 7 oz sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 oz flour
- waffle iron
- parchment paper
- 14 oz vanilla ice cream
- 14 oz strawberry ice cream
- 14 oz chocolate ice cream
- 2 tbsp white chocolate flakes
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate flakes
- strawberries and powdered sugar to garnish
1. Line a 7-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Place one scoop of vanilla ice cream in a separate bowl and put it in the freezer. Put the rest of the vanilla scoops in the pan, smooth them out so the ice cream becomes one layer, and cover it with parchment paper.
2. Repeat with a layer of strawberry ice cream on top of the vanilla ice cream. Also be sure to freeze one separate scoop of strawberry ice cream.
3. Finally, repeat the same steps with the chocolate ice cream. Place the triple-layered ice cream cake in the freezer and let sit for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
4. After the ice cream has sat for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight, prepare the chocolate waffles. First melt the butter and dark chocolate in water bath and let it cool down a bit before moving on to the next step.
5. Beat the eggs, vanilla extract, and lukewarm water until frothy. Stir in the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, baking powder, and flour, followed by the chocolate butter mixture. Refrigerate the batter for at least 30 minutes before making 4 waffles in a greased waffle iron. Let each waffle cool down before moving on to the next step.
6. Remove the 3 individual ice cream scoops from the freezer and heat each bowl in the microwave until slightly melted. Add the white chocolate flakes to the vanilla ice cream and stir until the chocolate has melted and fully mixed in.
7. Add the strawberry jam to the melted strawberry ice cream and stir until fully mixed in.
8. Add the dark chocolate flakes to the chocolate ice cream and stir until the chocolate has melted and fully mixed in.
9. Place one of the waffles on a large plate, stack the chocolate ice cream layer on top, and remove the parchment paper.
10. Spread the dark chocolate sauce on top of the chocolate ice cream layer and cover it with a waffle. Then stack the strawberry ice cream layer on top, remove the parchment paper, spread the strawberry sauce over the ice cream, and top this off with a waffle.
11. Finally, stack the vanilla ice cream layer on top, remove the parchment paper, spread the white chocolate sauce over the ice cream, and top off the cake with the last waffle. Garnish the magnificent ice cream cake with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar.
You can find the recipe for the Maple Waffle Cake featured in the bonus video here.