Hunter's Chicken Lasagna: Cheesy Casserole With BBQ Bacon-Stuffed Lasagna Pockets
Hunter's chicken is a tasty British dish, not to mention fan favorite of famous chef Jamie Oliver, consisting of a chicken fillet wrapped in bacon, smothered in barbecue sauce, and topped with cheddar cheese. That sounds so delicious that we couldn't resist putting together our own fusion version incorporating all the best parts of the zesty Italian lasagna and the hearty American casserole.
For the chicken filling:
- 2x 5 oz chicken breast
- salt & pepper
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- 3 fl oz water
- 4 oz bacon
- 4 oz BBQ sauce
- 5 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella
- 4 oz shredded cheddar
For the bechamel sauce:
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 8½ fl oz milk
- 3 tbsp shredded mozzarella
- 8 lasagna noodles
- casserole dish (ca. 6 x 9-inch)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and roast it on both sides until golden brown in a pan with the water, butter, rosemary, and thyme.
2. Shred the cooked chicken breasts with two forks.
3. Add the bacon, BBQ sauce, and crushed tomatoes to the shredded chicken and mix well.
4. Cook the lasagna noodles and prepare the bechamel sauce by bringing the melted butter, flour, and milk to a boil in a saucepan before eventually stirring in the mozzarella cheese. Spread a dollop of bechamel sauce in the middle of a cooked lasagna noodle
5. Place another lasagna noodle on top of the first noodle so that it is perpendicular and spread bechamel sauce in the middle of the second noodle.
6. Spoon a portion of the BBQ chicken mixture on top of the bechamel sauce in the center of the noodle and sprinkle some shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top.
7. Fold the ends of the two noodles over the filling to create a lasagna pocket, as shown in the video.
8. Repeat the process with the rest of the lasagna noodles until you have 4 lasagna pockets.
9. Place two lasagna pockets next to each other in a small casserole dish, cover with bechamel sauce, and sprinkle shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese on top.
10. Place the other two lasagna pockets on top of the shredded cheese, followed by another layer of bechamel sauce and more shredded cheese. Cook for 15 minutes.
This cheesy BBQ chicken lasagna will be love at first sight! And believe it or not, you'll be even more impressed with it after you take that first bite.
You can find the recipe for the Spicy Potato Chicken Bake featured in the bonus video here.