Honeycomb Cookie Cake With Mascarpone Cream
There are few things in this world as sweet as honey, and we owe all of that sweetness to the little worker bees who work so hard to make it! This recipe for a honeycomb cookie cake is inspired by our busy, buzzy little friends. We're using an original technique involving bubble wrap to make the cookie base of this cake look just like a honeycomb, stacking up the cookies in between layers of a rich mascarpone cream, and finishing everything off with some delicious honey. This honeycomb cookie cake tastes just as sweet as it looks. But don't worry – it doesn't take a whole hive to make!
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the sugar cookie dough:
- 2½ cups flour
- 1¼ sticks butter, chilled & cubed
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup sugar
For the mascarpone cream:
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup mascarpone
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1⅓ cups heavy cream, whipped
For the decoration:
- 1 fondant bee
- honey for the topping
- bubble wrap
- piping bag
1. For the sugar cookie dough, combine the flour, butter, eggs, and sugar in a large bowl and mix everything together by hand. Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap, transfer it to the refrigerator, and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and thoroughly clean a large piece of bubble wrap. Roll out the dough into a large rectangular shape and place it on the baking tray, then place the bubble wrap on top of the dough and press down gently. Once the whole sheet of cookie dough has been molded, carefully remove the bubble wrap.
3. Transfer the baking tray to either the refrigerator or the freezer and let the dough chill for about 90 minutes. Once the dough is almost done chilling, preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the baking tray from the fridge or freezer, transfer it to the oven, and bake the cookie dough at 350°F for 10 minutes. If the dough was frozen, add another 5–7 minutes to the baking time.
4. While the honeycomb cookie sheet is still warm, use a cup or a round cookie cutter that's 3–4 inches in diameter to cut out 4 circular pieces. Crush up the leftover pieces of the honeycomb cookie sheet and set them aside for later.
5. For the mascarpone cream, beat together the mascarpone, powdered sugar, and honey in a large mixing bowl. Whip the heavy cream, then carefully fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture.
6. Fill in the wells on top of the sugar cookies with honey.
7. Layer the cake, alternating between layers of sugar cookie, honey, and mascarpone cream, making sure the final layer is a sugar cookie.
8. Cover the sides of the cake with the mascarpone cream, dust the lower half with the sugar cookie crumbs that you set aside earlier, and drizzle honey on top. Decorate the cake by placing 1 bee made out of fondant on top.
The bees won't be the only ones buzzing about this cute cake! This honeycomb cake with mascarpone cream is a real eye-catcher and will impress whoever you serve it to.
Get the recipe for the No-Bake Honeycomb Cheesecake featured in the bonus video.