This Mouthwatering Casserole Has 12 Square Crêpes Stuffed With Ham And Cheese
Making traditional crêpes isn't the easiest thing in the world and requires a bit of patience, especially since the very runny batter has to be spread in a special pan just the right way. The following recipe not only simplifies the whole process, but also gives you a delicious and hearty variation of the beloved French pancake.
For the crêpes:
- 8 eggs
- 15 fl oz milk
- 3 fl oz melted butter
- 10½ oz flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- oil for frying
For the béchamel sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 12 fl oz milk
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
You'll also need:
- 14 oz ham, sliced
- 7 oz Swiss cheese, sliced
- shredded gouda
1. Stir the eggs, milk, and butter together in a large bowl with a whisk. Then add the flour and salt and stir everything together until a smooth batter forms.
2. Cook one thin pancake at a time. To do so, pour the batter in some oil in a nonstick skillet and fry both sides until golden brown. You should have 12 crêpes in the end.
3. To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and then sweat the flour in it by stirring it vigorously with a whisk. Pour in the milk, season with salt and nutmeg, and stir over a low heat until the sauce thickens.
4. Now put everything together! Spread a dollop of sauce in the middle of the crêpe and layer 3 slices of ham and 2 half slices of cheese. Then fold the crêpe and place it in a rectangular casserole dish.
5. Repeat Step #4 with the rest of the crêpes. Place 5 more crêpes on the bottom of the casserole dish and put the other 6 crêpes aside for now. Spread half of the remaining béchamel sauce over the top and smooth it out. Sprinkle as much gouda cheese as you want over the sauce. Add the rest of the 6 crêpes on top of the gouda and repeat the process with the layers of béchamel sauce and shredded cheese.
6. Bake the crêpe casserole for 30 minutes in an oven set to 350°F. Garnish the cooked casserole with fresh parsley.
There are plenty of casserole recipes out there, but when's the last time you saw one with crêpes? That's right, not only is this cheesy dish incredibly delicious, but it's also one-of-a-kind and is sure to wow at your next potluck or dinner party. Bon Appétit!