Hash Brown Boats With Hasselback Sausage Dippers
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so it's a good thing that so many breakfast foods taste amazing. But now the best meal of the day is getting even better, thanks to this tasty recipe! We're bringing you individual hash brown boats with a perfectly cooked egg nestled right inside. These little culinary masterpieces are paired with hasselback-style sausage dippers stuffed to the gills with fresh vegetables and a whole lotta cheese. Let your taste buds set sail on a delicious sea of breakfast flavors!
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the hasselback sausage dippers:
- 3 sausages
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small squares
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into small squares
- cheddar cheese, cut into small squares
- 1 small red onion, sliced
For the hash brown boats:
- 3 large potatoes, peeled
- 2 egg yolks for the hash browns
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- salt, pepper & nutmeg to taste
- melted butter
- 3 eggs
- chopped chives to garnish
- wooden skewers
- cheese grater
- parchment paper
1. Place a wooden skewer on either side of the sausage and use a knife to make slits in the sausage at even intervals, cutting until the knife hits the skewers. Repeat with the other 2 sausages.
2. Fill the slits in the sausage with small slices of cheddar cheese, bell pepper, and red onion. Repeat this process with the other 2 sausages.
3. Insert a wooden skewer into each sausage and fry the hasselback sausage dippers on all sides, making sure they are cooked all the way through.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grate the peeled potatoes into a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer the grated potatoes to a bowl, add the egg yolks and corn starch, season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and mix until combined.
5. Fold a piece of parchment paper into the shape of a small boat, as shown in the video. Staple the parchment paper together at both ends and prop it open in the middle. Repeat this process 2 more times.
6. Spoon the grated potato mixture into the paper boats and spread it evenly along the edges. Use a spoon to create a small well in the center of each hash brown boat, brush melted butter over the grated potatoes, and carefully crack an egg into the well in each boat. Place the hash brown boats on a baking tray alongside a heat-resistant bowl filled with water to help the eggs cook evenly. For firmer eggs, cover the tray with aluminum foil. Transfer the baking tray to the oven and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
7. Remove the baking tray from the oven and sprinkle chopped chives over the hash brown boats. Arrange the boats on a platter next to the hasselback sausage dippers and dig in!
This gorgeous combination of best breakfast foods not only looks great, but it tastes great too. Dip those delicious hasselback sausage dippers right into the egg yolk that's nestled in the hash browns, and your mouth will be absolutely swimming in flavor!
Get the recipe for the Swiss Beer Fondue With Sausage Dippers featured in the bonus video.