Savory ham and cheese pastry spiral: follow the curves to Nirvana
Meet the savory answer to the cinnamon roll. There's not only a melty, cheesy reward at the end of this spiral, preparing it is almost like having permission to play with your food! Get ready to roll, swirl, and brush your way to a happy stomach!
You will need:
- 2 rolls of ready-made puff pastry dough
- 4 slices of ham, sliced in half lengthwise
- 13 oz mozzarella in slices
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- With the puff pastry dough still in rolls, cut in half, leaving you with four equal-sized rolls. Now you can unfurl the dough.
- Lay out the ingredients on each dough strip in the following order: two half ham slices, slices of mozzarella, and tomatoes. Then sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Brush three sides of the strips (omitting one long side) with egg and fold the uncoated side to the middle. Then fold the other egg-coated long side over it, sealing it shut. Repeat with the remaining three strips.
- On a baking sheet, roll the dough "snakes" into a spiral, adding one piece after the other. Brush the completed spiral with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 355°F for 45 minutes.
To serve, cut a pie-shaped slice and revel in your creation! If a different set of ingredients is more your style, feel free to mix things up. With a spinach and feta filling, you could make a giant spanakopita pie. Just maybe leave out the cinnamon... that's a swirly delight for another day. Enjoy!