Get Ready For Fright Night With These Spooky Witch Fingers & Mummy Halloweenies
Halloween's that one day of the year where creative costumes, spooky ghost stories, and serious trick-or-treating are not only expected, but heavily encouraged. And while everyone loves a good piece of candy and slice of pumpkin bread this time of year, so many of the other food categories – such as appetizers, finger foods, and snacks – really miss their chance to shine. But that's about to change, because we think hearty themed food should be front and center at your upcoming Halloween party and these delicious witch finger weenies are the perfect way to set the mood.
For the puff pastry:
- 7 oz flour
- 3½ oz cold butter, cubed
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2½ fl oz water
For the stuffing:
- 8 hot dogs
- 4 string cheeses, halved
For the decoration:
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 almonds
1. Cut each of your string cheeses in half lengthwise. Then cut each hot dog lengthwise and stuff it with a string cheese half.
2. Lay the stuffed hot dog on a rectangular sheet of puff pastry and cut the sausage into three pieces.
Tip: To make your own puff pastry from scratch, combine all the dough ingredients listed above, mix until a smooth consistency forms, and refrigerate for two hours.
3. Wrap the puff pastry sheet around the hot dog and seal the ends so the inside isn't visible. Use your fingers to squeeze the dough in the gaps between the hot dog pieces so that they look like finger joints. Finally, carve some small lines horizontally in front of and behind the area of the dough you just squeezed.
4. Brush each Halloween pig in a blanket with an egg wash.
5. Decorate the "fingertip" of each weenie with a dollop of tomato paste and one almond and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
After they're done baking, these tasty finger foods actually look like severed witch fingers. But are they any good? Of course! In fact, they're finger lickin' good! Can't get enough of these eerily delicious Halloween treats? Then be sure to try the recipe from the bonus video – Mummy Halloweenies have never looked so good!