Grilled Sandwich Kabobs
You know what your shish kabobs have been missing all these years? Buttered toast, seasoned ground beef layers, crumbled feta, roasted vegetables, and a crispy aromatic cheese shell. These grilled sandwich kabobs are sure to be a hit at your next BBQ!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the grilled sandwich kabobs:
- 45 slices of white bread, crusts removed
- 1 stick butter, frozen
- ground beef filling, divided
- 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted
- 8 oz feta cheese
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted
- 45 cheese slices
For the ground beef filling:
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
1. Cut 2 yellow bell peppers and 2 red bell peppers in half vertically and remove the cores. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into long strips. Roast the bell pepper halves and zucchini strips on both sides in a little bit of olive oil in a pan over medium heat and set the roasted vegetables aside for later.
2. Arrange 9 slices of crustless white bread in a square so that the pieces slightly overlap and grate some frozen butter over the bread. Place a baking tray on the highest rack in a preheated oven set to 475°F and let the baking tray get hot. Remove the hot baking tray from the oven and firmly press it down on top of the bread square to melt the butter and toast the bread. Repeat with the remaining bread slices until you have 5 toasted bread squares.
3. Cut the toasted bread squares to fit a square 9-inch springform pan. Place 1 toasted bread square with the buttered side facing up in the base of the springform pan.
4. Combine the ingredients for the ground beef filling and spread a layer over the first toasted bread square in the springform pan.
5. Top the ground beef layer with the roasted yellow bell peppers that you set aside earlier.
6. Cover the roasted yellow bell peppers with the second toasted bread square and another layer of the ground beef filling. Crumble feta cheese on top of the ground beef layer.
7. Cover the feta cheese with the third toasted bread square and another layer of the ground beef filling. Arrange the roasted zucchini slices that you set aside earlier on top of the ground beef layer.
8. Cover the roasted zucchini slices with the fourth toasted bread square and another layer of the ground beef filling. Arrange the roasted red bell peppers that you set aside earlier on top of the ground beef layer.
9. Place the last toasted bread square on top of the roasted red bell peppers and press it down. Take 45 wooden skewers and press them all the way through the ingredients in the springform pan, making sure to evenly space out the skewers. Transfer the springform pan to the fridge and chill for 1 hour.
10. Cut around the skewers in the springform pan to create sandwich kabobs. Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat and cook 4-5 sandwich kabobs at a time on all sides until crispy. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid, and cook for 5 more minutes. Repeat with the rest of the sandwich kabobs.
11. Place 1 slice of cheese in a pan over medium heat. Once the cheese begins to melt, place 1 sandwich kabob at one end of the cheese and roll up the kabob in the cheese as it melts. Repeat with the remaining sandwich kabobs.
The buttered toast harmonizes perfectly with the spiced ground beef, crumbled feta cheese, and roasted veggies to make the best kabobs ever!