Grilled Cheese Sandwich Topped With Scrambled Eggs And A Crispy Cheese Crown
The humble grilled cheese is without a doubt the king of sandwiches. There is very little in this world that is more comforting, or more beloved, but we feel that grilled cheese sandwiches might not get the care and attention they deserve. We take them for granted so much that we don't even realize what a gift they truly are, which is why we've decided to pay tribute to one of the great classics by jazzing it up just a little bit. This elevated grilled cheese comes with a crispy parmesan crown AND delicious scrambled eggs for the perfect breakfast sandwich!
- ¼ stick butter
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp diced bacon
- ½ yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter in a pan, cover one slice of white bread with the cheddar and mozzarella cheese, place the other slice of bread on top, and fry the sandwich in the pan until golden brown on both sides.
2. Remove the grilled cheese sandwich from the pan and wipe the pan clean. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese in the pan so that it looks like a big plus sign, making sure the center is about as wide as the sandwich. Place the grilled cheese in the center of the parmesan plus sign and cook over medium heat.
3. Add the diced onion, bacon, bell pepper, and tomato to the pan.
4. Once the parmesan cheese has melted, carefully remove it and the sandwich from the pan. Place the sandwich on an upside-down glass for about 3 minutes until the cheese has set.
5. Add the eggs and parsley to the sautéed vegetables, season with salt and pepper, and scramble the mixture. Carefully lift the grilled cheese sandwich from the glass, turn it over, and transfer the scrambled eggs to the cheese crown!
If you prefer a savory breakfast, this is the sandwich for you! But the really great thing about this grilled cheese is that it tastes amazing anytime of the day.
And we haven't even mentioned the presentation! This grilled cheese is a whole visual moment... and then that first bite? Yummy!
Get the recipes for the Breakfast Toast Casseroles featured in the bonus video.