Make things fancy with some Gourmet Stuffed Tomatoes
Do you like Margherita pizzas? We thought so. We also thought that you've probably never seen one quite like this before. You could also call this the more tomatoey version of the classic recipe... with some extra ham.
You'll need (for 3 portions):
- 2 portions of pizza dough
- fresh basil
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 slices of coppa ham
- mini mozzarella balls
- salt, pepper
- First, spread the basil leaves out evenly on one of the portions of pizza dough. Now lay the second lot of dough on top. Then place a medium-sized bowl, like a cereal bowl, upside down on the dough. Cut around the bowl in a circle and repeat the procedure twice, so that at the end you have three circular portions of dough in front of you.
- Slice the top off the tomatoes and hollow them out with a spoon.
- Now it's time for the filling: line all the hollowed-out tomatoes with a slice of ham and then fill each one with mini mozzarella until there is no more room. Finally, season the filling with salt, pepper and oregano.
- It's now time to shape the dough and here's how you can make it a little more decorative. Pinch the dough together using your thumb and index finger at regular intervals around the edges, between half an inch and an inch apart. The dough should now look a bit like a flower.
- Make sure one tomato is in the middle of each dough flower and pull the dough all the way round in towards the middle.
- To finish, bake the tomatoes encased in the pizza dough for 15 minutes at 360°F in the oven.
How do you like this pizza in globe form? The best thing is that they're not only quick and easy to make, but they're extremely tasty too. And on top of this, you get far more tomato in your recipe than you would for an average pizza. Enjoy!