These golden coins may lack monetary value, but oh, the crispiness!
Remember the story of Jack and the Beanstalk? Jack traded the family's prized cow — not for golden coins as instructed — but for some magic beans. And boy, was his mother angry! Well, what if Jack had brought home some golden coins of another variety? One taste of these crispy, Golden Zucchini Bites and his mother might have been less convinced of her son's foolishness, right? You can answer that after you've tried them!
You will need (for 8 bites):
- 1 large zucchini
- vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup spinach leaves, cooked and drained
- 3 oz ham cubes (alternatively, pancetta)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- Wash the zucchini, remove the ends and slice into eight thick circles. Remove the inner flesh from each, leaving a sturdy ring behind. Cut the center circles into small cubes.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and brown the zucchini cubes. When finished, add to a small mixing bowl and combine with cream cheese, cooked and drained spinach, ham and mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the center of each zucchini ring. Dip each first in flour, then beaten egg, and lastly breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until both sides are golden brown.
So what's the verdict? Crispy goodness as good as gold? It's a tough decision. We understand. In any case, enjoy!