Make Your Own Festive Gingerbread House
What would Christmas be without a gingerbread house? Here's how you can make your own!
For the gingerbread dough:
- 12½ oz honey
- 3½ oz sugar
- 3½ oz butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 21 oz wheat flour
- 4 tbsp gingerbread spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the icing:
- 8 oz powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
You'll also need:
- piping bag
- Christmas candy for the decoration
1. Heat up the honey, sugar, and butter with a pinch of salt while constantly stirring. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and leave it to cool a little.
2. Now add the flour, gingerbread spices, and baking powder to the liquid mixture and knead everything into a firm dough.
Leave the dough to rest for around two hours while wrapped in food wrap.
3. Knead the dough one more time and cut away a quarter of it.
4. Roll this quarter out and cut it into a rectangle. Repeat this step with a second quarter of dough.
5. Place the two dough rectangles on a grille and lightly press down on them, so that they take on the pattern of the grille.
6. Roll out the rest of the dough and cut out the rest of the parts of the house. Next, bake everything at 375°F with the top and bottom heat on for 10 minutes.
7. While the parts of the house are cooling, prepare the icing. To do so, mix the powdered sugar and egg white until it has a consistency similar to toothpaste. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag. Use the icing to put the house together. Leave everything to dry for 30 minutes.
8. Use the rest of the icing to decorate your gingerbread house with Christmas candy.
As you can see, building your own gingerbread house really isn't that difficult. Happy holidays!
You can find the recipe for the Baked Apple Tart featured in the bonus video here.