Giant Stuffed Mushrooms: Truly Mouthwatering
Though mushrooms don't have the best reputation, we hope the skeptics among you will give them second chance after checking out this recipe. As with any food, it's all about the preparation: those of you who are used to a gray-colored, slimy mush are in for a pleasant surprise, because our recipe combines the wonderfully dense meatiness of the mushroom with a delicious creamy filling. Trust us — there's not a pot of boiling water in sight!
You'll need (for 3 portions):
- 3 large mushrooms (e.g. portobello mushrooms)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3/5 cup mozzarella, grated
- 5/6 cup cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Hollow out the mushrooms by removing the stalk and gills. Then brush olive oil onto the mushroom caps, both inside and outside.
- To prepare the filling, chop up the spinach and mix it with all the other ingredients.
- Spoon the filling into the three mushrooms and flatten the top. The mushrooms are baked at 360°F for 12 minutes.
This simple recipe is ideal as a party snack and hopefully helps any doubters see the humble mushroom in a completely different light. We also recommend trying our Giant Stuffed Mushrooms on the grill at your next barbecue!