Simply Irresistible: German Cream Cake With Strawberries
We all love a fluffy, freshly-baked chocolate cake, so why does this recipe start by apparently destroying a work of art? We don't want to give the game away from the get-go, but trust us, there's a very good reason for scraping out the center of this cake. And by the time you're done, we hope you'll agree. Intrigued? Let's take a look:
For the dough:
- 1 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
For the filling:
- 2 ¼ cups cream cheese
- 1 ⅔ cups cream
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1/4 cup sugar
- strawberry jam
- 3 ½ cups strawberries
- Put all the ingredients for the dough in a large bowl and mix them with an electric mixer. Put the dough in a greased springform and bake for 35 minutes at 340°F.
- In the meantime, to prepare the cream filling, mix the cream cheese, cream, mascarpone and sugar together.
- As soon as the cake is out of the oven and has cooled down, scoop out a hollow in the top between a half and one inch deep. Keep the edge of the cake intact. Crumble the scraped out pieces and set them to one side.
- Cover the bottom of the hollow with strawberry jam and then set the strawberries into the jam.
- Fill the hollow with cream, forming it into a little mound in the center. Then to finish, cover it with the cake crumbs from earlier.
And there you have it — German Cream Cake with Strawberries. Doesn't it look amazing? We're sure it tastes even better. Surprise your friends with this dessert that's a cut above the rest!